Here's what I'll do differently next time:
1. I should've used a thicker elastic. The instructions called for 2 mm, but I had 1/2 mm on hand and tried to use that. It's really too thin for this project, so I'll need to buy the thicker gauge.
2. A rotary cutter would've made it easier to cut the vinyl and the lining fabric. It would've also cut down on the fraying.
3. I should've left a 1/2 inch border of vinyl instead of running the lining fabric right up to the edge. As it is, you can see the fabric when the notebook is closed, and I didn't want that. I could fix it at this point with some ribbon trim, but I'll prob just leave it as is.
4. I haven't made any of the filler notebooks to go in them yet, but I def want to try some soon.
5. My hole punches aren't super smooth with my crop a file; I think an awl might give me crisper edges. What do you think?
Here's what I did right:
1. I liked using duck cloth as my lining fabric because it gave the cover some weight. With a thin cotton, I think the lining would've shown through, and the cover would've been too flimsy.
2. The basic fusible webbing I used was fine but medium or heavyweight could be better. I'm willing to experiment with that a bit.
3. The different sizes I made were fun. I can envision doing lots of variations on sizes.
4. Starting with a cheap vinyl remnant and duck cloth I had on hand was smart; next, I want to try with some more expensive embossed vinyl + some oil cloth + maybe even some real leather remnants.
5. The little tassels are super cute, so I'll prob use those again. I also think it'd be cute to put a bead or two with the tassel or on the closing elastic piece.